So, I have been home in California for a little less than 2 weeks and boy have I been busy! I can't seem to sit still lately (especially long enough to put together a full post!) but believe me when I say I have stock piled quite the collection of topics and projects so that when this crazy 'nesting' stage ends I have something to keep my brain occupied :)
One of the very first projects I started on when I came back was a hand made mobile. I saw one very similar to this in a store:
However, the price that went along with it ($$) was not what I was interesting in paying so with a fabulous mother who works for the school system and has access to this wonderful machine called an Edison Die Cutter I was able to cut out hundreds of butterflies in minutes compared to what it would have taken by hand and make my own colorful version.
First I started off by finding scrapbook sheets that had all the colors that I was looking for. I wanted something bright and fun. After doing some research I realized that babies can't actually see solid shapes for quite sometime but, quicker then that they can see colors so solid white was out of the question for me if the purpose was to stimulate Cameron's tiny and growing brain. Bright Pink, Vibrant Yellow, Outrageous Orange, and Tiffany Blue. I managed to find all those colors solid and then one in an awesome pattern :)
Then...the next step was figuring out how to make the top portion of the mobile and all of a sudden the shopping gods (NOT to be confused with our actual God) opened this shining glimmer in the clearance section at Hobby Lobby. Do you know how wonderful this is! It is a curse to all female shoppers that as soon as they begin looking for something specific (shoes, sweater, belt, jewelry, accessories you name it) it is no where to be found no matter how high or low you look. It was shopping miracle when I just happened across this "Baby Shower Mobile" with brown and pink dots for...brace yourself...$9!
Yes, how cool right?! I, however, want to stimulate her brain not make her have a headache (thats a lot of dots isn't it?). So after stripping of all those little dots so that just the fishing line was left behind I started the tedious task of gluing on the butterflies on. I took 2 butterflies, no 2 alike touching, and glued a straight line down the center of their little bodies and put the fishing line between. After they dried I folded their little wings back to add a little more dimension and to keep the lines straight I added matching white butterflies to the end of every strand that are made out of matte board to weigh down every strand. Here is what I got :)
Ta-Da!!!! It's enough to want to keep looking at it but not enough to make her tiny little head go bonkers once she can start making out the colors and shapes :) I love it!