I am describing the bad first so that you can better understand the good when it comes along...
- Twentynine Palms is hot. I don't mean at "high noon", "when the sun is out", or just once in a while. it is hot all the time. I'm not talking in the high 90's people,I'm talking on average 110 or higher. Last week it hit 120 almost every day at some point! It is a dry heat so that is a little helpful but still - low 110's!
- Twentynine Palms is green-less. There are exactly 29 palm trees as you drive into base and there are a few throughout the town but there are no trees! There is no grass! "Landscaped yards" include rocks being placed in specific areas of your yard. We found a rental and it in the lease it stated we needed to take care weeds. I asked what consisted of weeds and their response was e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g!! Our yard consists of dirt.
- Twentynine Palms is made for the average Marine. The town consists mainly of barber shops (for military haircuts), thai massage (i don't quite know why), tattoo parlors (i know exactly why), and liquor stores (again...a given).
- Twentynine Palms is full of bugs a weird wild life. The ant hills are gigantic! I could fit my fist in the holes. I have also seen 2 coyotes that have become roadkill, these little things that look like the belong on meerkat manor, and a road runner.
- Twentynine Palms is secluded. Granted, Yucca Valley and Joshua Tree are not to far away but if you wanted to go somewhere that has a Target or Super Walmart you need to go to Palm Springs which is over an hour away.
- Twentynine Palms has some odd people who live here. I have concluded that the only people who really live here are either a.) military family, b.) to old and lazy to move or c.) just crazy...unfortunately, there are quite a few of "c" that I have run into.
- Twentynine Palms has a beautiful view. 3 sides are surrounded by mountains that no matter what time of day, they are beautiful! Jake and I are also considering taking up hiking :) Joshua Tree National Park is literally in our back yard!
- Twentynine Palms has a really nice base. I guess since I have not been on any other base I am somewhat nieve but it has a community center with computers (which I am taking advantage of right now), the PX is pretty nice and so is the commissary, there is a golf course (if I ever wanted pick it up), a dog park, and a nice family pool!
- Twentynine Palms has friends! I am beginning to meet new people who are so nice and fun and I can't wait to get to know them better :)
- Twentynine palms is near other stuff. As I have specified in an earlier post, there are quite a few things that close by that do offer some fun things to do which is better then being near absolutely nothing.
- Twentynine Palms has a church! We love the church. It is small but is full of really nice caring people and we are looking forward to getting to know everyone better.
I guess what I am trying to prove to no only you but to myself as well that the next four years here won't be that bad. It will be even better once I have everything done that I need to do in order to get our stuff moved out here and to get a house on base...it is all over a little overwhelming but I think I can get it all done here shortly.